Skip to main content

Ordained by praise!


Two more weeks of Lent – that’s all.   Next Sunday is the Triumphant Entry and the next, the Celebration of the Resurrection – Easter.   Besides getting your Easter baskets filled, are you preparing for these celebrations?  Preparing your heart, that is?

In reflecting upon Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem that first Palm Sunday, I marvel at how one day, the people worshipped and praised Him and the next day, His authority was questioned.  One day, they loved, the next, they hated.  What happened?  What changed their minds? 

Matthew 21 says:

The blind and the lame came to Him at the temple and He healed them.  But when the chief priests and the teachers of the law saw the wonderful things He did and the children shouting in the temple area, “Hosanna to the Son of David,” they were indignant.  “Do you hear what these children are saying?” they asked Him.  “Yes,” replied Jesus, “have you never read, ‘from the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise’?”

You know the story, they had Him arrested because they didn’t know who He was and they didn’t like the attention He was getting.  They didn’t want a Messiah like He was – they didn’t want someone to come in and take over.  They were jealous, they were prideful and they were hard-hearted. 

But worse than that, they were closed-minded.  They wouldn’t even contemplate the thought of Jesus being the Son of the Living God.   He was not who they thought the Messiah should be.

Who is Jesus to you?  Your friend?  Your protector?  The giver of good gifts?  Healer?  Way to heaven?  All of those “titles” are correct.  He is all those.  But oh, He is so much more! 

He is Truth – He called a spade a spade and so called the Pharisees hypocrites.

He is all-knowing, all-seeing, all powerful and mighty.  He knows exactly who He is to you (and loves you still!)!

He is the First and the Last and the Second Person of the Trinity.  He is your Savior and Redeemer.

I don’t know that the Pharisees thought that they needed a savior.  They knew what scripture said about one coming, but they really had everything under control and things were going their way, so when Jesus came, He sort of put a huge “kink” in that.  They were worshipped by the people - the people looked up to them and did what they said.

Maybe some “inner reflecting” by the Pharisees would have helped them realize just how much one needs a savior – how much one sins and how powerless one really is when one leans on their own self, their own devices.

I can still remember when I realized I needed a Savior – that I was a sinner, through and through and nothing I did would make that sin go away – nothing, that is except the blood of Jesus Christ.  By His blood, we are forgiven.  By His sacrifice, we are healed.  We are forgiven and healed by Jesus Christ, the Savior I gave control of my heart and my mind.  The Savior I need.  The Savior God sent so that I could be forgiven.  The Savior of the world.

I find myself down on my knees as I prepare my heart for Palm Sunday and Holy Week.  I pray for a soft heart.  I confess my pride and my judgments.  I long for my Savior’s presence in my day, my night, and my every minute.

For my Savior has ordained the praise of my heart – may He ordain that in you as you prepare for His triumphant entry, His death and resurrection. 


May we praise Him – with our lips and our lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Victory - a habit.

My heart is heavy today – full of despair.   A beautiful woman, I love and thank God for, with an abuse problem, is in ICU.     While high on heroin, she drove her car into a parked semi. What???????????!!!!   Let’s just sit on that for a while.   My despair is NOTHING compared to her despair – her children’s despair.   Her parents’ despair.   This abuse problem has been around for years.   That’s who she is . . . “an addict” (her words). Really?   I have never been addicted to drugs so I don’t understand this addiction, but I have known other “addictions” – I have felt helpless – I have labeled myself  “defeated”.   Hopeless.   I am so sick and tired of Satan and his destruction.   I have had it.     Why do we give him so much power?   He delights in this . . . . this darkness.   No more. I claim in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ – LEAVE THIS WOMAN ALONE! I found a great quote from Charles Gore (British theologian): We are conscious of our own weakness and of

ctrl-Z

Happy New Year!   It’s a new year, a new beginning – the old is gone, the new has come!   YIPEE!   Not that 2012 was so awful – but it’s good to start afresh, don’t you think?   Get rid of some old “bad” habits, put on some new “good” ones.   My husband and I have promised each other we are not going to be “crabby” with each other anymore.   I am horrible!   We will try and talk nicely to each other - that alone will be a miraculous feat!! Sometimes, I just want to take back immediately what I just said – ever want to do that?   At my office, my new cubby partner taught me a wonderful keystroke last year that I told her has “spiritual” meaning.   Seriously! ctrl-Z.   Ever use it?   It un-do’s.   Yep – whatever you type wrong or don’t mean to do – it undoes it.   Ingenuous!   I use it all the time now.    (I know – I’m slow!) What on earth could be the spiritual meaning of ctrl-Z?   Hmmmm, well . . . . how about when I am crabby and disrespectful with my husband (last y

Accept one another . . . in order to bring praise to God !

What a horrendous week it has been for me!   And its only Tuesday (sigh!)   Sometimes I just want to climb into my fifth wheel and wheel away . . . . I don’t care where, just ANYWHERE but here – I hate conflict, don’t you? I think I hate it because conflict tears at my heart – its sin and its wrong.   But can we live in a world, okay let’s just say “in a family” without conflict?   Aren’t we supposed to be a family (whether by blood or by faith) of unity – a Christian community that loves one another and is unified?   Seems simple, doesn’t it?   It ain’t!   One wants this, the other that.   Someone is unhappy or feeling unloved or being pushed around.   There’s manipulation and pride and jealousy – these ARE NOT family traits you know (!)   or for that matter, “fruits” of the Spirit! In all this muck, I have been praying, I have been fasting, and I have sought counsel, both from the Word and from wise prayer warriors.   I have tried to get to the bottom of it all and I have t