Skip to main content

HUH? What did I just sing???


Do you ever sing with the radio?  I do all the time (I know, SHOCK SHOCK!).  But do you ever sing with the radio and have NO IDEA what you are singing or let me say it this way, no idea of THE MEANING of what you are singing? 

There is a lot of garbage out there as far as music goes.  Even from WAY BACK in the 70’s, there are no-sense lyrics and I guess I always knew this but it really came to “light” when we started listening to Sirius 70’s radio in my husband’s truck and I would notice EXACTLY the words that I was singing.

That got me thinking . . . do I do that when I sing in church too?  I mean am I paying attention to the lyrics or just singing along and not realizing EXACTLY what I am singing? 

I don’t think I really notice or pay that much attention to the meaning of the songs I know by heart, or the songs I have known for years.  Let’s think about that for a minute . . S-T-U-P-I-D ! 

I had the privilege of attending church with my sister and her husband last weekend in Cumberland, WI.  We sang liturgy from the hymnal (haven’t done that in a while!) - LOVED IT

Lamb of God Who takes away the sin of the world, have mercy on us, Lamb of God Who takes away the sin of the world, have mercy on us, Lamb of God Who takes away the sin of the world, grant us peace. (John 1)

Create in me a clean heart, Oh God and renew a right spirit within me.  Cast me not away from Thy Presence and take not Thy Holy Spirit from me.  Restore unto me the joy of Thy Salvation.  And uphold me with Thy free Spirit.  (Psalm 51:10-12)

Or, how about the old hymns?  Amazing GraceBlessed AssuranceRock of Ages.    Their lyrics touch my heart.  They are woven IN my heart from years past.  Years of singing them in traditional worship – taking them for granted – taking worship for granted.   Shame on me!

How about this oldie, but goodie:

Great Is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father.

There is no shadow of turning with Thee.

Thou changest not, Thy compassions they fail not.

As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.  Great is Thy faithfulness.

Great Is Thy faithfulness, morning by morning new mercies I see.

All I have needed Thy hand hath provided.  Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me.

Verse 3:  Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth. 

Thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide. 

Strength for today and hope for tomorrow.

Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Great Is Thy faithfulness, morning by morning new mercies I see.

All I have needed Thy hand hath provided.  Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord unto me.

As I sit back and sing this hymn in my heart, I hear my dad singing too.  He’s a little off-key, but that’s okay.  He’s singing from his heart too. For you know, he’s the one who invited me to worship all those years ago.  I will never forget it.  I was 19 years old, just moved in, and he invited me by telling me why he goes to worship.  Telling me Who God was to him.  I just couldn’t say, “no” and I have been worshipping ever since.

Today is his 76th birthday and I would like to dedicate this blog post to him.  Happy birthday, Dad!  I will NEVER EVER be able to thank you enough for the heritage of faith you have instilled into your children and their children (and their children . . . .).

Anyway, I digress . . . let me just say that I am paying attention now.  I woke up.  I’m not singing anything I don’t mean anymore.  I’m going to know what I’m singing and sing from my heart – tears streaming down my face and a little off-key maybe – but WOW – WHAT A WAY TO WORSHIP!



May our hearts see . . . . AND KNOW the meaning!

Comments

  1. Great blog Debbie, Happy Birthday Ed!

    Kimi Wolff

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Victory - a habit.

My heart is heavy today – full of despair.   A beautiful woman, I love and thank God for, with an abuse problem, is in ICU.     While high on heroin, she drove her car into a parked semi. What???????????!!!!   Let’s just sit on that for a while.   My despair is NOTHING compared to her despair – her children’s despair.   Her parents’ despair.   This abuse problem has been around for years.   That’s who she is . . . “an addict” (her words). Really?   I have never been addicted to drugs so I don’t understand this addiction, but I have known other “addictions” – I have felt helpless – I have labeled myself  “defeated”.   Hopeless.   I am so sick and tired of Satan and his destruction.   I have had it.     Why do we give him so much power?   He delights in this . . . . this darkness.   No more. I claim in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ – LEAVE THIS WOMAN ALONE! I found a great quote from Charles Gore (British theologian): We are conscious of our own weakness and of

ctrl-Z

Happy New Year!   It’s a new year, a new beginning – the old is gone, the new has come!   YIPEE!   Not that 2012 was so awful – but it’s good to start afresh, don’t you think?   Get rid of some old “bad” habits, put on some new “good” ones.   My husband and I have promised each other we are not going to be “crabby” with each other anymore.   I am horrible!   We will try and talk nicely to each other - that alone will be a miraculous feat!! Sometimes, I just want to take back immediately what I just said – ever want to do that?   At my office, my new cubby partner taught me a wonderful keystroke last year that I told her has “spiritual” meaning.   Seriously! ctrl-Z.   Ever use it?   It un-do’s.   Yep – whatever you type wrong or don’t mean to do – it undoes it.   Ingenuous!   I use it all the time now.    (I know – I’m slow!) What on earth could be the spiritual meaning of ctrl-Z?   Hmmmm, well . . . . how about when I am crabby and disrespectful with my husband (last y

Accept one another . . . in order to bring praise to God !

What a horrendous week it has been for me!   And its only Tuesday (sigh!)   Sometimes I just want to climb into my fifth wheel and wheel away . . . . I don’t care where, just ANYWHERE but here – I hate conflict, don’t you? I think I hate it because conflict tears at my heart – its sin and its wrong.   But can we live in a world, okay let’s just say “in a family” without conflict?   Aren’t we supposed to be a family (whether by blood or by faith) of unity – a Christian community that loves one another and is unified?   Seems simple, doesn’t it?   It ain’t!   One wants this, the other that.   Someone is unhappy or feeling unloved or being pushed around.   There’s manipulation and pride and jealousy – these ARE NOT family traits you know (!)   or for that matter, “fruits” of the Spirit! In all this muck, I have been praying, I have been fasting, and I have sought counsel, both from the Word and from wise prayer warriors.   I have tried to get to the bottom of it all and I have t