Skip to main content

Convinced.

Did I ever tell you my ABSOLUTE favorite Bible verse, my life verse, so to speak?   Its Romans 8:

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.  For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Convinced, via Websters is to cause to believe with certainty,   The King James’ version uses the word, “persuaded”. 

Under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, Paul wrote the Book of Romans telling us that he knew, with certainty, without a doubt, that NOTHING could separate us from God’s love.  NOTHING. 

How did he know that?   Paul knew, down deep in his heart, that no matter what happened to him (prison, beatings, persecution, shipwrecks), that God would always love him.   He said in the Book of Philippians:

Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.  I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.

He eagerly expected  Jesus Christ to work in him.  His deliverance was expected.  He was convinced.  What are you convinced of these days?  I mean, is there a lot out there in the world that you are convinced of?  Personally, media doesn’t convince me.  It entices me and tells interesting stories, but the only thing it might convince me of is “God, help us all!” 

The government?  Uh, let’s not go there.   Laws?  They can be broken, I am totally convinced of that!  Let me just say that there isn’t much in the world today to “convince” me of what God wants for me except His Word.  My own heart is deceitful (Jeremiah 17) so I can’t even look to that!

What my life verse tells me is this:

That no matter what happens, divorce, bankruptcy, death, the earth is destroyed, Satan takes over, or the most devastating disaster imaginable, even THAT cannot take away God’s love for me - I am still loved by God now and forever – no matter what happens.  NO MATTER WHAT I DO.  NO MATTER WHAT.

For me, a girl who grew up here and there and didn’t have much in the way of “stableness” or “certainty”, this verse hits home – literally.

Do you have a life verse - one that defines who you are in Christ?  I challenge you to find one today.  I am convinced that defining yourself with God’s Word this way is a true gift from His heart to ours.

May our hearts see . . .   and be convinced.

Comments

  1. We are truly blessed with such love! My struggle comes in sometimes not being happy with this love...somehow wanting a love that 'feels good'and is 'good to me' all the time --a love that is not just 'good for me'.
    Even as I write this, I recognize the ingratitude and blasphemy in its message...the Satanic influence of 'the lie' that God is not good somehow.
    Thank you for the reminder that NOTHING is better than God's love for us, and it is SURE. We can be convinced!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Victory - a habit.

My heart is heavy today – full of despair.   A beautiful woman, I love and thank God for, with an abuse problem, is in ICU.     While high on heroin, she drove her car into a parked semi. What???????????!!!!   Let’s just sit on that for a while.   My despair is NOTHING compared to her despair – her children’s despair.   Her parents’ despair.   This abuse problem has been around for years.   That’s who she is . . . “an addict” (her words). Really?   I have never been addicted to drugs so I don’t understand this addiction, but I have known other “addictions” – I have felt helpless – I have labeled myself  “defeated”.   Hopeless.   I am so sick and tired of Satan and his destruction.   I have had it.     Why do we give him so much power?   He delights in this . . . . this darkness.   No more. I claim in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ – LEAVE THIS WOMAN ALONE! I found a great quote from Charles Gore (British theologian): We are conscious of our own weakness and of

ctrl-Z

Happy New Year!   It’s a new year, a new beginning – the old is gone, the new has come!   YIPEE!   Not that 2012 was so awful – but it’s good to start afresh, don’t you think?   Get rid of some old “bad” habits, put on some new “good” ones.   My husband and I have promised each other we are not going to be “crabby” with each other anymore.   I am horrible!   We will try and talk nicely to each other - that alone will be a miraculous feat!! Sometimes, I just want to take back immediately what I just said – ever want to do that?   At my office, my new cubby partner taught me a wonderful keystroke last year that I told her has “spiritual” meaning.   Seriously! ctrl-Z.   Ever use it?   It un-do’s.   Yep – whatever you type wrong or don’t mean to do – it undoes it.   Ingenuous!   I use it all the time now.    (I know – I’m slow!) What on earth could be the spiritual meaning of ctrl-Z?   Hmmmm, well . . . . how about when I am crabby and disrespectful with my husband (last y

Accept one another . . . in order to bring praise to God !

What a horrendous week it has been for me!   And its only Tuesday (sigh!)   Sometimes I just want to climb into my fifth wheel and wheel away . . . . I don’t care where, just ANYWHERE but here – I hate conflict, don’t you? I think I hate it because conflict tears at my heart – its sin and its wrong.   But can we live in a world, okay let’s just say “in a family” without conflict?   Aren’t we supposed to be a family (whether by blood or by faith) of unity – a Christian community that loves one another and is unified?   Seems simple, doesn’t it?   It ain’t!   One wants this, the other that.   Someone is unhappy or feeling unloved or being pushed around.   There’s manipulation and pride and jealousy – these ARE NOT family traits you know (!)   or for that matter, “fruits” of the Spirit! In all this muck, I have been praying, I have been fasting, and I have sought counsel, both from the Word and from wise prayer warriors.   I have tried to get to the bottom of it all and I have t