Convinced.

Did I ever tell you my ABSOLUTE favorite Bible verse, my life verse, so to speak?   Its Romans 8:

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.  For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Convinced, via Websters is to cause to believe with certainty,   The King James’ version uses the word, “persuaded”. 

Under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, Paul wrote the Book of Romans telling us that he knew, with certainty, without a doubt, that NOTHING could separate us from God’s love.  NOTHING. 

How did he know that?   Paul knew, down deep in his heart, that no matter what happened to him (prison, beatings, persecution, shipwrecks), that God would always love him.   He said in the Book of Philippians:

Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.  I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.

He eagerly expected  Jesus Christ to work in him.  His deliverance was expected.  He was convinced.  What are you convinced of these days?  I mean, is there a lot out there in the world that you are convinced of?  Personally, media doesn’t convince me.  It entices me and tells interesting stories, but the only thing it might convince me of is “God, help us all!” 

The government?  Uh, let’s not go there.   Laws?  They can be broken, I am totally convinced of that!  Let me just say that there isn’t much in the world today to “convince” me of what God wants for me except His Word.  My own heart is deceitful (Jeremiah 17) so I can’t even look to that!

What my life verse tells me is this:

That no matter what happens, divorce, bankruptcy, death, the earth is destroyed, Satan takes over, or the most devastating disaster imaginable, even THAT cannot take away God’s love for me - I am still loved by God now and forever – no matter what happens.  NO MATTER WHAT I DO.  NO MATTER WHAT.

For me, a girl who grew up here and there and didn’t have much in the way of “stableness” or “certainty”, this verse hits home – literally.

Do you have a life verse - one that defines who you are in Christ?  I challenge you to find one today.  I am convinced that defining yourself with God’s Word this way is a true gift from His heart to ours.

May our hearts see . . .   and be convinced.

Comments

  1. We are truly blessed with such love! My struggle comes in sometimes not being happy with this love...somehow wanting a love that 'feels good'and is 'good to me' all the time --a love that is not just 'good for me'.
    Even as I write this, I recognize the ingratitude and blasphemy in its message...the Satanic influence of 'the lie' that God is not good somehow.
    Thank you for the reminder that NOTHING is better than God's love for us, and it is SURE. We can be convinced!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Share My Heart, Show My God.

May my heart see . . . a blog? What?

REAL expectations?