Skip to main content

Captured

Did you know that we are held “captive” and it’s a GOOD THING?  Yep – stick with me here.  You and I are held captive, or “captured by Grace”.  I think that “captured by Grace” is an interesting concept, don’t you?  I mean, really, what DOES that mean?

Capture is defined as “to take captive, seize or to gain possession or control of.”  God, by grace, has taken us captive, taken possession of our hearts, our souls, our lives and indwells within us.  We belong to Him.  We are His property.  His chosen.  H.I.S.  Captured.

Grace, as an acronym, is God’s Redemption At Christ’s Expense.  So “captured by Grace” is God’s work for us – His loving, total work for us through the sacrifice of His Son.  His beatings, His torture, His hanging on the cross, all of it, for me, for you.  Just thinking about that gives me the Holy Ghost bumps!

Babop and Grandma Niebur
This being “captured” makes me think about my heritage.  The faith of my fathers, my ancestors who passed on their faith, so to speak, who lived a life of loving Jesus Christ, helping me see that its possible, its WHO I am (captured) and what I am made of.  Generations of family captured by the Grace of God.  

Grandpa & Grandma Lutz

Psalm 103 says
But from everlasting to everlasting the LORD’s love is with those who fear Him, and His righteousness with their children’s children— with those who keep His covenant  and remember to obey His precepts.  The LORD has established His throne in heaven, and His kingdom rules over all.

Timm Heyer family 2011
From everlasting to everlasting, generation to generation, the Lord has CAPTURED us – our families – our children – their children.  Doesn’t that sound wonderful?  I SO want this (and pray too) that my children and future generations know the Lord Jesus Christ and live a life full of faith. 

This is His will for us.  Don’t EVER let Satan tell you different!

Colossians 2 says

Let your roots grow down into Him, and let your lives be built on Him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness.  Don’t let anyone capture you with empty philosophies and high-sounding nonsense that come from human thinking and from the spiritual powers of this world, rather than from Christ.  For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body.

So to “grow my roots into Him” and “let my life be built on Him” means:

§         knowing Him (learning/reading Scripture)
§         loving Him (no matter what)
§         following Him (knowing His ways and going in that direction)
§         worshiping Him (is that a priority? – it should be!)
§         Praying to Him (daily/hourly/continuous)

He’s “captured” us by HIS GRACE – our response is building our lives in Him, through Him and with Him. 

May our hearts see . . .  and be captured!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Victory - a habit.

My heart is heavy today – full of despair.   A beautiful woman, I love and thank God for, with an abuse problem, is in ICU.     While high on heroin, she drove her car into a parked semi. What???????????!!!!   Let’s just sit on that for a while.   My despair is NOTHING compared to her despair – her children’s despair.   Her parents’ despair.   This abuse problem has been around for years.   That’s who she is . . . “an addict” (her words). Really?   I have never been addicted to drugs so I don’t understand this addiction, but I have known other “addictions” – I have felt helpless – I have labeled myself  “defeated”.   Hopeless.   I am so sick and tired of Satan and his destruction.   I have had it.     Why do we give him so much power?   He delights in this . . . . this darkness.   No more. I claim in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ – LEAVE THIS WOMAN ALONE! I found a great quote from Charles Gore (British theologian): We are conscious of our own weakness and of

ctrl-Z

Happy New Year!   It’s a new year, a new beginning – the old is gone, the new has come!   YIPEE!   Not that 2012 was so awful – but it’s good to start afresh, don’t you think?   Get rid of some old “bad” habits, put on some new “good” ones.   My husband and I have promised each other we are not going to be “crabby” with each other anymore.   I am horrible!   We will try and talk nicely to each other - that alone will be a miraculous feat!! Sometimes, I just want to take back immediately what I just said – ever want to do that?   At my office, my new cubby partner taught me a wonderful keystroke last year that I told her has “spiritual” meaning.   Seriously! ctrl-Z.   Ever use it?   It un-do’s.   Yep – whatever you type wrong or don’t mean to do – it undoes it.   Ingenuous!   I use it all the time now.    (I know – I’m slow!) What on earth could be the spiritual meaning of ctrl-Z?   Hmmmm, well . . . . how about when I am crabby and disrespectful with my husband (last y

Accept one another . . . in order to bring praise to God !

What a horrendous week it has been for me!   And its only Tuesday (sigh!)   Sometimes I just want to climb into my fifth wheel and wheel away . . . . I don’t care where, just ANYWHERE but here – I hate conflict, don’t you? I think I hate it because conflict tears at my heart – its sin and its wrong.   But can we live in a world, okay let’s just say “in a family” without conflict?   Aren’t we supposed to be a family (whether by blood or by faith) of unity – a Christian community that loves one another and is unified?   Seems simple, doesn’t it?   It ain’t!   One wants this, the other that.   Someone is unhappy or feeling unloved or being pushed around.   There’s manipulation and pride and jealousy – these ARE NOT family traits you know (!)   or for that matter, “fruits” of the Spirit! In all this muck, I have been praying, I have been fasting, and I have sought counsel, both from the Word and from wise prayer warriors.   I have tried to get to the bottom of it all and I have t