Skip to main content

When Jesus is all I have, He really is all I need.


When Jesus is all I have, He really is all I need.  Right?  I'm going to be honest here, actually brutally honest, and say that I wish that statement was true for me.  I mean, I want it to be true.  Does that count?

I don't know about you but in my life I feel like I need more than Jesus.  I need air and water and comfort and people liking me.  I need things going my way and nice hair.  Wow, do you think I'm a little self-involved??   Pardon me while I puke. 😬

Thankfully, God in His wisdom slaps me upside the head - I'm talking figuratively, here - with His Word.  One of those teaching moments is from the Book of Habakkuk.  He was a prophet during a horrific time.  Actually, God was allowing the Babylonians to take over, that's how bad it was.  Habakkuk was disgruntled to say the least.  For over two chapters, he tells God exactly what is needed and what should be done.  And God answers him - NOPE - not this time.  By the third chapter, Habakkuk's prayer is:

  Lord, I have heard of Your fame;
    I stand in awe of Your deeds, Lord.
Repeat them in our day,
    in our time make them known;
    in wrath remember mercy.

and then later . . . . .

Though the fig tree does not bud
    and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
    and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
    and no cattle in the stalls,
18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
    I will be joyful in God my Savior.

Did Habakkuk give up?  Yes, you could say he did.  He gave up on figuring it out himself.  He gave up his will - his control.  His wants . . . . . His needs.  And said, in essence, no matter what, Lord, I will rejoice.  

For me to get to a place where Jesus is all I need, I have to trust Him.  Trust Him in all circumstances.  That's not easy sometimes - a lot of times actually.  Especially when I am all about myself.  So as I fall to my knees, my heart knows - deep down inside - that God's got this.  He knows.  He can.  He is.

There really is no one else.  No one like Him.  All powerful.  Invincible.  Perfect.  The more I tell myself  the truth - Who God is and what He can do, the more I trust.  And the more I trust, the more I rejoice.  Lord Jesus, You are all I need.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Victory - a habit.

My heart is heavy today – full of despair.   A beautiful woman, I love and thank God for, with an abuse problem, is in ICU.     While high on heroin, she drove her car into a parked semi. What???????????!!!!   Let’s just sit on that for a while.   My despair is NOTHING compared to her despair – her children’s despair.   Her parents’ despair.   This abuse problem has been around for years.   That’s who she is . . . “an addict” (her words). Really?   I have never been addicted to drugs so I don’t understand this addiction, but I have known other “addictions” – I have felt helpless – I have labeled myself  “defeated”.   Hopeless.   I am so sick and tired of Satan and his destruction.   I have had it.     Why do we give him so much power?   He delights in this . . . . this darkness.   No more. I claim in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ – LEAVE THIS WOMAN ALONE! I found a great quote from Charles Gore (British theologian): We are conscious of our own weakness and of

Accept one another . . . in order to bring praise to God !

What a horrendous week it has been for me!   And its only Tuesday (sigh!)   Sometimes I just want to climb into my fifth wheel and wheel away . . . . I don’t care where, just ANYWHERE but here – I hate conflict, don’t you? I think I hate it because conflict tears at my heart – its sin and its wrong.   But can we live in a world, okay let’s just say “in a family” without conflict?   Aren’t we supposed to be a family (whether by blood or by faith) of unity – a Christian community that loves one another and is unified?   Seems simple, doesn’t it?   It ain’t!   One wants this, the other that.   Someone is unhappy or feeling unloved or being pushed around.   There’s manipulation and pride and jealousy – these ARE NOT family traits you know (!)   or for that matter, “fruits” of the Spirit! In all this muck, I have been praying, I have been fasting, and I have sought counsel, both from the Word and from wise prayer warriors.   I have tried to get to the bottom of it all and I have t

ALL

God is above all.    Above the heavens and the earth.   Above all powers, dominions, and kingdoms.   The beginning and the end.   He is all-knowing, all-encompassing.   He is everything – ALL.   PERIOD. 2 Cor 8:9:   And “God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. Ephesians 1: 22-23:     And God placed all things under His feet and appointed Him to be head over every thing for the church, which is His body, the full ness of Him, who fills every thing in every way. All I need.   No matter if I am at the lowest point in my life or at the top of the world, He (Jesus) is ALL.   I think by now you get my drift – but the real question is, how?   Not how can God be all but how can I believe it, know it in my heart and live by it?   St. Patrick said , “ Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me. ”