Skip to main content

What is love?



I was recently asked the question, "what is love?"  Thinking hard, I found that I could think of what it ISN'T, but for the life of me, couldn't define it.  I know what it feels like, warm, fuzzy . . .  good.  Or maybe that's sitting in front of a fire with a cup of chai tea.  Okay, let's start over. 

Love (without truth) isn't love.  True statement.  Love, true love, is telling the truth, no matter how hard it is. 

Or how about the theme of the old movie, Love Story.  "Love is never having to say you're sorry".  That's hogwash by the way.  For when you love someone, saying sorry is what you do over and over.

As far as I remember, from little on, I wanted to be loved.  For some reason, I never thought I was.  Now I know that was a lie.  To think back on my childhood, I was the first grandchild on my mother's side and her siblings and parents adored me.   Adoration = love?  Yeah, I guess it does.

 Even though my parents divorced by the time I was five, my father's parents also were very loving and active in my life.  In fact, my paternal grandmother was one of the most influential Christian women in my life.  

I remember my step-mom defined love once as us kids.  I smile as I think about it.

So I WAS loved.  Never feeling love and truly being loved must be different. Fast forward ahead, meeting my husband and declaring we "loved" each other, love was stability and what happened next in my life.  It was sticking to it, even when you didn't want to.  It was getting up early and going to work, when you were dead tired.  It was fixing bikes and serving meals.  Changing diapers and mopping floors.  

Now, almost 40 years later, I know that God is love.  He IS love.  He gave up all for me, for you.  His only son.  He thought of us and walked straight to the cross, knowing what would happen, not once looking back and wondering if we were worth it.

Satan, the deceiver, will always try and get us to believe we are not loved.  There is nothing further from the truth. 

Paul says, in his letter to the Ephesians, "And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."

WOW!  Now that's LOVE.  Grasp it.  Know it.  Be filled.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Victory - a habit.

My heart is heavy today – full of despair.   A beautiful woman, I love and thank God for, with an abuse problem, is in ICU.     While high on heroin, she drove her car into a parked semi. What???????????!!!!   Let’s just sit on that for a while.   My despair is NOTHING compared to her despair – her children’s despair.   Her parents’ despair.   This abuse problem has been around for years.   That’s who she is . . . “an addict” (her words). Really?   I have never been addicted to drugs so I don’t understand this addiction, but I have known other “addictions” – I have felt helpless – I have labeled myself  “defeated”.   Hopeless.   I am so sick and tired of Satan and his destruction.   I have had it.     Why do we give him so much power?   He delights in this . . . . this darkness.   No more. I claim in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ – LEAVE THIS WOMAN ALONE! I found a great quote from Charles Gore (British theologian): We are conscious of our own weakness and of

ALL

God is above all.    Above the heavens and the earth.   Above all powers, dominions, and kingdoms.   The beginning and the end.   He is all-knowing, all-encompassing.   He is everything – ALL.   PERIOD. 2 Cor 8:9:   And “God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. Ephesians 1: 22-23:     And God placed all things under His feet and appointed Him to be head over every thing for the church, which is His body, the full ness of Him, who fills every thing in every way. All I need.   No matter if I am at the lowest point in my life or at the top of the world, He (Jesus) is ALL.   I think by now you get my drift – but the real question is, how?   Not how can God be all but how can I believe it, know it in my heart and live by it?   St. Patrick said , “ Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me. ”

ctrl-Z

Happy New Year!   It’s a new year, a new beginning – the old is gone, the new has come!   YIPEE!   Not that 2012 was so awful – but it’s good to start afresh, don’t you think?   Get rid of some old “bad” habits, put on some new “good” ones.   My husband and I have promised each other we are not going to be “crabby” with each other anymore.   I am horrible!   We will try and talk nicely to each other - that alone will be a miraculous feat!! Sometimes, I just want to take back immediately what I just said – ever want to do that?   At my office, my new cubby partner taught me a wonderful keystroke last year that I told her has “spiritual” meaning.   Seriously! ctrl-Z.   Ever use it?   It un-do’s.   Yep – whatever you type wrong or don’t mean to do – it undoes it.   Ingenuous!   I use it all the time now.    (I know – I’m slow!) What on earth could be the spiritual meaning of ctrl-Z?   Hmmmm, well . . . . how about when I am crabby and disrespectful with my husband (last y