Skip to main content

Loved less.


I am a spiritual lesson seeker.  At least once a week, I find a spiritual lesson in something - whether its an occurrence, or when I'm reading my devotions.  Sometimes its in worship.  Most times, though, its every day life, the normal, day to day grind, that makes me stop, take notice and ponder.

By spiritual lesson, I mean a "heart" lesson.  Something God tells me, shows me, or teaches me.  I have to smile when I think about it because its usually SO SIMPLE.  You know what I mean?  And because I take everything (literally) "to heart", these spiritual lessons are life changing.  Sorry if you think I'm being slightly dramatic here, but to me, they really are.

Deuteronomy 6:5 says, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength."  To me, that's pretty much impossible.  Yet, I pray it. And I truly want it.  But I can't.  I just . . . .  can't.  I'm too full of myself.   So after a while, it became a prayer that I said cause I thought I should but knew it would never happen.  That's not cool, by the way.

Lately, though, I've been really, really wanting that.  Craving it.  Needing it.  Actually, I couldn't stop thinking about it.  And wouldn't you know it - God showed up.  He more or less told me, in my heart, that I loved Him less.  I loved Him less than myself.  I loved Him less than lots of things.  Well, to be honest, most things.

I am truly ashamed.  Because He was right.  I do love Him less.

Floyd McClung says, "True repentance occurs when we begin to see sin from God's point of view - when we see the way our sin has broken His heart."  I would say that happened.  I started seeing everything I loved more than God and it was stupid stuff and it made me sick.  And I thought, how would I like it if I was loved less?

My heart was broken.  And that's exactly where God wanted me to be.




 

 




Comments

  1. Hi, Deb....putting God first is not easy. I have to remind myself that everything I have and love comes from God. That's how much he loves me. He gives me peace and promise for eternity, so I need to honor Him and glorify Him wholeheartedly. It is already in your heart to love him more....��

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Victory - a habit.

My heart is heavy today – full of despair.   A beautiful woman, I love and thank God for, with an abuse problem, is in ICU.     While high on heroin, she drove her car into a parked semi. What???????????!!!!   Let’s just sit on that for a while.   My despair is NOTHING compared to her despair – her children’s despair.   Her parents’ despair.   This abuse problem has been around for years.   That’s who she is . . . “an addict” (her words). Really?   I have never been addicted to drugs so I don’t understand this addiction, but I have known other “addictions” – I have felt helpless – I have labeled myself  “defeated”.   Hopeless.   I am so sick and tired of Satan and his destruction.   I have had it.     Why do we give him so much power?   He delights in this . . . . this darkness.   No more. I claim in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ – LEAVE THIS WOMAN ALONE! I found a great quote from Charles Gore (British theologian): We are conscious of our own weakness and of

ALL

God is above all.    Above the heavens and the earth.   Above all powers, dominions, and kingdoms.   The beginning and the end.   He is all-knowing, all-encompassing.   He is everything – ALL.   PERIOD. 2 Cor 8:9:   And “God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. Ephesians 1: 22-23:     And God placed all things under His feet and appointed Him to be head over every thing for the church, which is His body, the full ness of Him, who fills every thing in every way. All I need.   No matter if I am at the lowest point in my life or at the top of the world, He (Jesus) is ALL.   I think by now you get my drift – but the real question is, how?   Not how can God be all but how can I believe it, know it in my heart and live by it?   St. Patrick said , “ Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me. ”

ctrl-Z

Happy New Year!   It’s a new year, a new beginning – the old is gone, the new has come!   YIPEE!   Not that 2012 was so awful – but it’s good to start afresh, don’t you think?   Get rid of some old “bad” habits, put on some new “good” ones.   My husband and I have promised each other we are not going to be “crabby” with each other anymore.   I am horrible!   We will try and talk nicely to each other - that alone will be a miraculous feat!! Sometimes, I just want to take back immediately what I just said – ever want to do that?   At my office, my new cubby partner taught me a wonderful keystroke last year that I told her has “spiritual” meaning.   Seriously! ctrl-Z.   Ever use it?   It un-do’s.   Yep – whatever you type wrong or don’t mean to do – it undoes it.   Ingenuous!   I use it all the time now.    (I know – I’m slow!) What on earth could be the spiritual meaning of ctrl-Z?   Hmmmm, well . . . . how about when I am crabby and disrespectful with my husband (last y