Skip to main content

Trembling.


Have you ever trembled in fear?  Maybe lots of things make you tremble.  I’m not a “trembler” by nature.  I’m a screamer and a crier, but trembling?  Not so much.  The first time I remember trembling was my wedding day.  Right before the wedding was to start, I just could not stop shaking.  My mom took me on her lap and comforted me – hoop skirt and all (me, not her J).   The music started and I calmly walked down the aisle.

The next time I remember trembling was years later – it was when my mom called me and said my step-dad had died and she needed me, NOW.  I got in our van and tried to drive to her as fast as I could, except I couldn’t hold the steering wheel because I couldn’t stop trembling.  In fact, I was shaking so much, the van was actually shaking!  NO LIE!

I got on the highway and thought to myself, “How am I going to drive?  I can’t even hold the steering wheel?”   I was in a panic, trembling.  I started to pray, “Lord, my mom needs me, I have to go to her but I can’t drive.  Please help!”  Just then, I looked beside me and my step-mom was driving next to me, waving and honking the horn.  She could tell something was wrong.  She motioned for me to pull over.  I pulled over and she ran to me.   I told her I was trying to get to my mom, that Dad Tuttle had died.  She hugged me and prayed.  As soon as we embraced, the trembling stopped.

I thought of my trembling episodes during worship this morning.  We read Psalm 46:
God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
 though its waters roar and foam
    and the mountains quake with their surging.
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall;
    God will help her at break of day.
Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
    He lifts His voice, the earth melts.
The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.

 Am I (are you) a person who believes these words, literally?  I mean, “though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the sea” and “nations are in an uproar and kingdoms fall” – “we are not to fear, because God is our refuge and strength” – seriously?  Sounds like reasons to tremble if you ask me!

UMMMMMM, God is our refuge and strength – our fortress.  My Webster’s Dictionary says, “fortress” is a stronghold, a fortified place.  “Fortify” is defined as “to add strength by reinforcement” or “to strengthen and secure”.

Okay, so my strength is God, who is my fortress, my stronghold or my reinforcement.  I mean, that sounds really neat that God is that.  But do I believe it – do I believe it enough to live it?  To live it enough that when I tremble, or when you tremble, He’s enough.  Period.

For me, reading, learning and knowing scripture has helped me believe it.  God’s Word has blessed me in ways I could never count.   Reading scripture like:

This is why it says: “When He ascended on high,
    He led captives in His train and gave gifts to His people.”
(What does “He ascended” mean except that He also descended to the lower, earthly regions?
He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.)  (Eph 4).

WOW - that's an awesome way to think of God - to remember Who He is. 
 
Another way to live it is by praying - being the recipients of prayers (like my step-mom’s that day) or praying myself.  Leaving it all with God.  The fear, the circumstance, the trembling.  Leaving it in my “fortress”, with my “reinforcement”, knowing He sees, He knows and He is Who He says He is.

Music has also helped me realize Who God is.  Listening to scripture in music has blessed me so!  Music just speaks to me, to my heart and to my soul.  When scripture is put to music, I am doubly blessed! 

Martin Luther wrote a song from Psalm 46 that is pretty well known, “A Mighty Fortress”.  We sang the Promise Keeper version in worship today and as we sang, the trembling came back.  Oh, not a “scared” kind of trembling, but a “Holy, Holy, Holy, this is real” kind of trembling.  I have attached it here. 
 
A Mighty Fortress http://youtu.be/jcDC4vLw23k
 

Verse 2:

Did we in our own strength confide, our striving would be losing.

Were not the right man on our side. The man of God’s own choosing.

You ask who that might be?  Christ Jesus, it is He.

Lord, Saboath His name, from age to age the same, and He must win the battle.

 

His kingdom is forever – a mighty fortress is our God.  AMEN!
(you trembling too? J)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Victory - a habit.

My heart is heavy today – full of despair.   A beautiful woman, I love and thank God for, with an abuse problem, is in ICU.     While high on heroin, she drove her car into a parked semi. What???????????!!!!   Let’s just sit on that for a while.   My despair is NOTHING compared to her despair – her children’s despair.   Her parents’ despair.   This abuse problem has been around for years.   That’s who she is . . . “an addict” (her words). Really?   I have never been addicted to drugs so I don’t understand this addiction, but I have known other “addictions” – I have felt helpless – I have labeled myself  “defeated”.   Hopeless.   I am so sick and tired of Satan and his destruction.   I have had it.     Why do we give him so much power?   He delights in this . . . . this darkness.   No more. I claim in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ – LEAVE THIS WOMAN ALONE! I found a great quote from Charles Gore (British theologian): We are conscious of our own weakness and of

ctrl-Z

Happy New Year!   It’s a new year, a new beginning – the old is gone, the new has come!   YIPEE!   Not that 2012 was so awful – but it’s good to start afresh, don’t you think?   Get rid of some old “bad” habits, put on some new “good” ones.   My husband and I have promised each other we are not going to be “crabby” with each other anymore.   I am horrible!   We will try and talk nicely to each other - that alone will be a miraculous feat!! Sometimes, I just want to take back immediately what I just said – ever want to do that?   At my office, my new cubby partner taught me a wonderful keystroke last year that I told her has “spiritual” meaning.   Seriously! ctrl-Z.   Ever use it?   It un-do’s.   Yep – whatever you type wrong or don’t mean to do – it undoes it.   Ingenuous!   I use it all the time now.    (I know – I’m slow!) What on earth could be the spiritual meaning of ctrl-Z?   Hmmmm, well . . . . how about when I am crabby and disrespectful with my husband (last y

Accept one another . . . in order to bring praise to God !

What a horrendous week it has been for me!   And its only Tuesday (sigh!)   Sometimes I just want to climb into my fifth wheel and wheel away . . . . I don’t care where, just ANYWHERE but here – I hate conflict, don’t you? I think I hate it because conflict tears at my heart – its sin and its wrong.   But can we live in a world, okay let’s just say “in a family” without conflict?   Aren’t we supposed to be a family (whether by blood or by faith) of unity – a Christian community that loves one another and is unified?   Seems simple, doesn’t it?   It ain’t!   One wants this, the other that.   Someone is unhappy or feeling unloved or being pushed around.   There’s manipulation and pride and jealousy – these ARE NOT family traits you know (!)   or for that matter, “fruits” of the Spirit! In all this muck, I have been praying, I have been fasting, and I have sought counsel, both from the Word and from wise prayer warriors.   I have tried to get to the bottom of it all and I have t