Skip to main content

From the beginning . . .


I thought with a new year and all, we should start at the beginning – the top – where it “all” began – the Garden of Eden.   The Bible starts with Genesis:
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.  Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.  And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.

There was nothing – in the beginning.  After God created light, came the earth, the ocean and the perfect place, the Garden of Eden.  Scripture keeps telling us, “God saw all that He had made, and it was very good. “  Very good:  beneficial, wonderful, lovely.

You know the story.  He put Adam and Eve there to live.  They were doing just fine, living in perfection, in God’s Presence, until Eve doubted what God had told her.  The serpent twisted the Truth and had Eve doubting.  She did the one thing she was told NOT to do – she had everything, nice home, loving husband, good food, God’s Presence, but the one thing – the ONE THING she couldn’t have, she wanted.

I’m like that.  I hate that about myself.  I’ve been thinking about this and do you think the first sin, this taking what she couldn’t have, what she was told not to have, was this all about comparison?  Satan told her she would be like God if she ate the apple.  Was she wanting that?  Not being okay with who she already was, but wanting to have more – to be someone she wasn’t created to be?  I think it was. 

Oh boy – that’s me!  AND I HATE IT!  Comparison is a sin in my book.  And we are well, let’s just say I am, experts at it!  Whether its comparing our bodies, our homes, our children or our hairstyles, we compare.  So why is it a sin?  When I compare, I am thinking in my head,

“I am not happy or thankful for how I am or who I am, I would rather be like that over there.”  Right?  In other words, “God, You made me wrong, I like that instead.”

Paul wrote in the Book of Ephesians, Chapter 1:
In Him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of Him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of His will, in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of His glory.  

We are the chosen, accepted, adopted children of God – His possession – and I have the gall to want more – seriously, that just slays me!  THANK GOD FOR HIS GRACE!!!!!!

I don’t make new years resolutions anymore.  I start a new “theme” for each year.  My new “theme” for 2013 is “thankful”.  This year, this new beginning, I want to be thankful for who God is and what He has done.  I want to be thankful for how He made me – just as I am – and tell Him that every day.  I want to be thankful in my dealings with others – even at my job and with people who irritate me.  I want to get up every day and the first thing that is out of my mouth is, “THANKS!” – no matter what.  No more thanklessness, no more comparing – just thanking.  Wanna join me? 

Lord, thank You for Who You are and how You made us – help us in this new year to be more thankful for just that – truly, in Your Holy Name, Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Victory - a habit.

My heart is heavy today – full of despair.   A beautiful woman, I love and thank God for, with an abuse problem, is in ICU.     While high on heroin, she drove her car into a parked semi. What???????????!!!!   Let’s just sit on that for a while.   My despair is NOTHING compared to her despair – her children’s despair.   Her parents’ despair.   This abuse problem has been around for years.   That’s who she is . . . “an addict” (her words). Really?   I have never been addicted to drugs so I don’t understand this addiction, but I have known other “addictions” – I have felt helpless – I have labeled myself  “defeated”.   Hopeless.   I am so sick and tired of Satan and his destruction.   I have had it.     Why do we give him so much power?   He delights in this . . . . this darkness.   No more. I claim in the Mighty Name of Jesus Christ – LEAVE THIS WOMAN ALONE! I found a great quote from Charles Gore (British theologian): We are conscious of our own weakness and of

ctrl-Z

Happy New Year!   It’s a new year, a new beginning – the old is gone, the new has come!   YIPEE!   Not that 2012 was so awful – but it’s good to start afresh, don’t you think?   Get rid of some old “bad” habits, put on some new “good” ones.   My husband and I have promised each other we are not going to be “crabby” with each other anymore.   I am horrible!   We will try and talk nicely to each other - that alone will be a miraculous feat!! Sometimes, I just want to take back immediately what I just said – ever want to do that?   At my office, my new cubby partner taught me a wonderful keystroke last year that I told her has “spiritual” meaning.   Seriously! ctrl-Z.   Ever use it?   It un-do’s.   Yep – whatever you type wrong or don’t mean to do – it undoes it.   Ingenuous!   I use it all the time now.    (I know – I’m slow!) What on earth could be the spiritual meaning of ctrl-Z?   Hmmmm, well . . . . how about when I am crabby and disrespectful with my husband (last y

Accept one another . . . in order to bring praise to God !

What a horrendous week it has been for me!   And its only Tuesday (sigh!)   Sometimes I just want to climb into my fifth wheel and wheel away . . . . I don’t care where, just ANYWHERE but here – I hate conflict, don’t you? I think I hate it because conflict tears at my heart – its sin and its wrong.   But can we live in a world, okay let’s just say “in a family” without conflict?   Aren’t we supposed to be a family (whether by blood or by faith) of unity – a Christian community that loves one another and is unified?   Seems simple, doesn’t it?   It ain’t!   One wants this, the other that.   Someone is unhappy or feeling unloved or being pushed around.   There’s manipulation and pride and jealousy – these ARE NOT family traits you know (!)   or for that matter, “fruits” of the Spirit! In all this muck, I have been praying, I have been fasting, and I have sought counsel, both from the Word and from wise prayer warriors.   I have tried to get to the bottom of it all and I have t