What's your version?

I am attending a Bible study where we paraphrase scripture.  This doesn’t sound fun, does it?  Actually, I went into this with a little “kicking and screaming” but have ended up liking the whole idea.  Once the scripture is paraphrased, we dissect it – that part I happen to enjoy wholeheartedly!   (I know, I’m weird!)

This last week one of the assignments was Psalm 23.  This psalm is a favorite of many.  But favorites don’t make for easy paraphrasing – just sayin.  The more I read and re-read this psalm, the more it “said”.  Do you know what I mean?

Let’s look at it:

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures: He leads me beside the still waters.

He restores my soul: He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His Name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

This of course is from the New King James Version.  The following is my version:

God watches over me and with Him, there is nothing I lack.

He is everything; His will be done.

I fear nothing, for God will keep me close.

He provides lavishly even when surrounded by adversaries.

He will remain with me, even in dying, for heaven is my home.

As I paraphrased away, this psalm taught me that God knows me, sees me and loves me.  He will provide all I need.  There is no reason to fear anything – yes, I said A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G.  God has my back.

Goodness and mercy are mine (I LOVE THAT) and they pursue me!  (I DOUBLE-LOVE THAT!)

Seriously, how can that be?  He is my shepherd, He knows my name.  I belong to Him.  So do you.

Seem too simplistic?   Try it yourself - what’s your version?

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Share My Heart, Show My God.

May my heart see . . . a blog? What?

REAL expectations?