Ashes


Ash Wednesday was just last week and I just want to say that being a Lutheran, I LOVE LENT!  Now, I know that sounds weird to you non-L’s out there – but I do!  I love Lent.  I love what it stands for, I love the music, I love the devotions, I love the soup suppers, I love it all.  From Ash Wednesday to Good Friday and then top it all off, Easter – this is one of my favorite “church seasons”.

In Biblical times, the people showed their repentance by covering themselves with ashes and sackcloth.  Jesus spoke of that in Matthew 11.

Hence:  Ash Wednesday.

What does Ash Wednesday mean to you?  To me, it’s the beginning of Lent and a time for inner reflection and repentance.  Inner reflection being soul searching – confession – alone time with God to just listen.  Have you ever done that – turn the world off and just listen to God? 

Turn off the world, the computer, the TV.  Turn off your thoughts, your complaints, your needs.  Listen.  OH WAIT, first pray for God to be there – His Holy Spirit to fill you – then listen. 

It’s hard – well at least for me, it is.  It’s hard to turn off me – my mind and my self.  Once I get that down, then I have to wait.  Wait for God to speak.  In the first place, “wait” isn’t one of my spiritual gifts, if you know what I mean.  Well, let’s say patience isn’t.  This shutting off and listening to God stuff takes a lot of practice.  First I train myself to shut off – then I train myself to wait and listen.  I still don’t get it right sometimes, but it’s a process I am willing to learn and work towards.

By the way, one of the definitions for ash (or ashes) is “what remains after a catastrophe”.  In my case, I’m thinking the catastrophe is NOT reflecting, not listening, not repenting.  Isaiah prophesized in Chapter 61:

       To all who mourn in Israel, He will give a crown
       of beauty for ashes, a joyous blessing instead of
       mourning, festive praise instead of despair.
       In their righteousness, they will be like great oaks
       that the Lord has planted for His own glory.

What was Isaiah talking about there?  I think He is telling us that we can bring ALL to Him, all our sin, our problems, our wants/needs, whatever and He will turn it into BEAUTY, BLESSING, PRAISE.  He will take our offering and make the BEST out of it, and He will make it stable, planted solid – stand-tall solid – into Him and His glory. 

So what remains after the “catastrophe”?

HIM.



How much better can it get?



During this Lenten season, may you stop, reflect inwardly and listen.  God wants to turn your ashes into a crown --  may our hearts see that. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Share My Heart, Show My God.

May my heart see . . . a blog? What?

REAL expectations?